Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ice Cream Sundae Kit

Do you know someone who LOVES ice cream?  I do.  My dear mom who is suffering from dementia has few pleasures as her memory fades BUT she enjoys her ICE CREAM.  The last time I was home to visit her I took her out for breakfast.  She didn't want coffee.  She didn't want tea.  She wanted a milkshake!
When trying to figure out WHAT to give her for her birthday, one of my co-workers remembered this picture and suggested I put together a basket of 'sundae goodies'.  What a great idea!  This is what I came up with.
I went to our local "bulk" store and got the little bags and filled them with nuts and candies.  I printed the labels on the computer, punched them out and added them to the bags.
The bowls were from Target and are plastic but you put them in the freezer upside down and freeze them.  They keep the ice cream cold and come in different colors so I got one of each of the four colors.
Since this package is going out of town, I included a gift certificate to Target (you could do any local grocery store) so my dad can purchase the ice cream and extras I couldn't send by mail.
You can add whatever you like to make this a fun gift.  I bought the round, metal container at a garage sale and sprayed it bright red.  Everything was wrapped with tissue paper so it wouldn't roll around.
I wanted to find the clear, cellophane wrap but couldn't so this is just a plastic tablecloth that I cut, wrapped around the basket and tied with ribbon.  There's still time to pull this together for Father's Day or any other holiday or event!  I know my mom is going to love it . . . just wish I could be there to watch her enjoy it!  Hopefully my dad will take some pictures!


Linking to these parties this week . . .
The DIY Showoff   http://diyshowoff.com/
Marvelous Mondays http://www.jamscorner.com/
From My Front Porch to Yours http://frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.com/
Under the Table and Dreaming http://www.bystephanielynn.com/

9 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea and a great gift! Anyone would love to get this! Can you make mine sugar free? heehee! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet and adorable idea Lauren! The picture of your mom is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea Lauren. I have not made Lavender tea. It sounds lovely and I bet it smells good too. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and thoughtful idea! It made me think of my own mother who loves a good milkshake. I'm sure your mom will enjoy choosing from all those colorful bags you put together. A perfect gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good gift and this is certainly one of them. LOVE this .... and so thoughtful with that person in mind. Lets the person receiving this gift know how special and thought of they are. Love this

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful thoughtful gift! Your story made me tear up some! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun what a great idea! I would love if you would share this at my linking party http://www.fidlersunderoneroof.com/2013/06/fidlin-fridays.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I will need to hint at this to my husband, I would adore this gift. Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.creativeramblingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have done this before for gifts and it's such an awesome treat. and I love your coffee creamer ideas too. I am going to pin that one to my "drinks" pinterest board. thank you for all the great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!