Saturday, September 3, 2011

Vintage Magazine Rack Facelift


A few weeks ago I found this vintage magazine rack table at a thrift store. It was in terrible condition, especially the leather inset and top with some structural issues also but I couldn't pass it up!
The top was a total mess and the leather inset was stained with paint, water and who knows what else.













After cleaning with 3 parts dish soap to 1 part water and gently rubbing, and rubbing, drying and repeating, most of the stains came out. I then applied layer upon layer of leather conditioner for several days and it's almost like new! The wood required lots of sanding and stripping to reveal this lovely wood grain. One trick I learned is to apply the stripper, cover with aluminum foil and wait FORTY minutes no matter what the stripper says. I read that stripper stops working after 40 minutes but the 10-15 some say to wait is not enough. (Thank you again Google).










I kept the little hardware pull just as it was and lined the drawer with some vintage-esque papers.
I used spray paint to TRY to get way down into those narrow magazine openings . . . I was somewhat successful.  I applied A.S. Old White over the whole piece, a coat of clear wax, some distressing, a touch of dark wax and a good buffing.
I knew from the start this piece belonged in our living room . . . Ava agrees!


15 comments:

  1. Your patience was worth it - great job making this look pretty again. Would love for you to link it to my next Craftastic Monday Party:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it turned out! The drawer liner is also a nice touch (I really should do the same to some of my pieces).

    Gabby
    The Late, Young Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great makeover! It really looks better! I love you Ava! She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharp eye and great redo dear - absolutely brilliant redo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is darling! I love that you were able to save the leather, and the gorgeous wood veneer on the top, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job...I just love anything with leather! (Must be my "Cow-girl roots").
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello
    Oh, it is t
    oo bad I didn't know you came in my booth. If you come next month please stop in and say hello, I will be in the same building only up a few rows.
    Your piece turned out so cute!
    Have a wonderful labor day
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great make over! Thanx for sharing with us for Treasure Hunt Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your re-do! I have a similar leather-topped table...hadn't even thought of refurbishing the leather...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hard work really was worth it as she is a real beauty. Thank's for all the tips along the way in achieving your results!

    I am so pleased that you linked to Potpourri Friday. Your participation certainly makes the party more successful . I appreciate you, Lauren! I hope you will make this one of your regular stops each week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If at first you don't succeed try try again. And you did. What a little TLC can do. It looks great.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out really nice! It looks great with Ava! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful restoration, Lauren. such a difference! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!