Sunday, September 18, 2011

Super Fruit and A Garden House

We visited our daughter for Parent Weekend Fri-Sat and had a chance to see an amazing project at her college that she is participating in . . . a Garden House.  There are 2 young men and 4 young ladies all living here growing their own produce, canning, freezing and sustaining themselves mainly on what they've grown.  They also belong to a local co-op and purchase items they couldn't grow through the co-op.  

They have grown lots and lots of lettuce and other greens, radishes, pickles, every variety and of tomato you could imagine, broccoli, pumpkins, peppers, eggplant and probably lots of other things I'm forgetting!
The guys designed and created this beautiful herb garden.  They've also dried and frozen lots and lots of herbs as well as making their own pesto for the freezer.
A large whiteboard is filled with goals, menus (each person cooks for the 'family' one night a week), grocery lists, budget, garden chores and more!
On Friday, we walked in to the guys blanching pounds and pounds of broccoli for freezing! You just can't imagine what these kids are able to pump out of this tiny kitchen! They have a giant chest freezer that is filled to the top with all they've put aside for the winter months!  As I said, this is a new project at their college and they have totally impressed me with their knowledge and all they've accomplished on their own!
Like I said, they (and WE) have tons and tons of tomatoes so I'm always sending my daughter recipes to use them up! Here are two that I just made and oh my . . . are they good!  
Tomato and Basil Salad
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T minced onion (I used green onions)
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper
2 1/4 c yellow pear tomatoes, halved
2 1/4 c red cherry tomatoes, halved
4 large basil leaves cut into slender ribbons
Combine vinegar and onion. Let sit 15 minutes. Combine with other vinaigrette ingredients and toss with the tomatoes and basil shreds.  NOTE: I had these lovely purple ant yellow tomatoes from "the Garden House" and the red cherry tomatoes from my garden but use whatever you have.
Tomato Spinach Soup
2 T margarine/butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 t minced garlic
2 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
10 large tomatoes, pureed (end up with about 10 cups of puree)
1/3 cup sugar
3 c fresh spinach leaves
1/4 c chopped fresh basil
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese

Melt margarine in large pot and saute onion and garlic for 3 min.  Stir in milk and cook for two minutes.   Stir in puree and sugar.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.  Add spinach, basil, salt, pepper and sour cream.  Simmer two more minutes.  Sprinkle with Parmesan to serve.  (NOTE: For health reasons I used skim milk, fat-free sour cream and Stevia (in place of the sugar) ).

So with all of the tomatoes we've been eating, I wondered what the health benefits were . . .
   
One of the most well known tomato eating benefits is its' Lycopene content. Lycopene is a vital anti-oxidant that helps in the fight against cancerous cell formation as well as other kinds of health complications and diseases. No other fruit or vegetable has the high concentration of Lycopene that the tomato does!

Studies in the scientific community have proven the benefits in preventing cancer, heart disease and high cholesterol

Loaded with Vitamin A they can help prevent and reduce the risk of macular degeneration and night blindness.  This vitamin is also good for keeping the hair shiny and strong and is good for the bones, skin and teeth.

In most expensive facial cleansers, Lycopene is present. One of the best ways of using tomatoes for skin care is to take about 8 to 10 tomatoes and peel their skin. Later, lay back and then place the skins of tomato on the face or other parts of the skin. Be sure to keep the inner side of the tomato skin against the skin and leave for about 10 minutes. Then wash your face, you face will look cleaner and may be more shiny. Though, your skin might also be a little pinkish or red, but it will wear away. (WELL, this is what they say . . . I haven't tried this yet!)

The Lycopene content actually INCREASES with cooking! So tomato paste contains four times more Lycopene that in fresh tomatoes.

Fresh tomatoes and tomato extracts have been shown to help lower total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.

I for one am adding this amazing fruit (yep, they're fruits, not vegetables) to my daily diet!  What is one thing YOU feel you have to have each day to feel healthy? Chocolate maybe :)















13 comments:

  1. Really cool project at your daughter's school! I've been freezing and dehydrating my tomatoes. Your recipes look really good. Stopping by from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I follow your blog, not coming from a hop! Should probably go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting. Good preparation for life after college, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they are learning something good and practical. They can use the knowledge they gain fom this for the rest of their lives. Unlike so many of the things you learn in school and promptly forget, like all that yucky math. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! That is an awesome project your daughter is doing! I love that they are trying to use as little outside products as they can! I wish I could say the same, i really should try to decrease my carbon footprint!
    I didn't know that about tomato's! I knew they were a fruit, but not that they had that many health benefits! Thanks for the info!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great experience the students are getting with this project. So much better than living on fast food. Your tomato salad looks so darn good. Thanks for sharing all the info about tomatoes; I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren~
    They must've had a good teacher to know how to do all of that! You are an inspiration. We had corn on the cob that I had taken off the cob and froze earlier this summer - it was yummy! Thanks for the info. I enjoyed visiting you again.
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project!!! I love fresh vegetables and herbs. When I was a kid I would eat so many tomatoes from the garden that I got canker sores from the acid!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing project, I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great college project. Your daughter is very pretty!

    Thanks for the wonderful recipes. The health benefits are so good to know.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrific project! The salad and soup both look so good & the receipes are appreciated!

    Thank you so much to linking to Potpourri Friday. Your participation is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat project. I think we need more of this learning. You must be so proud of your daughter. Thank you for the recipes.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post~ sounds like delicious recipes too!! I will have to try the tomato skins for a facial!! :) Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!