Monday, October 23, 2017

DIY Custom Bed Skirt


I was having a hard time finding a bed skirt (does anyone call these 'dust ruffles' anymore? That's what we used to call them but it appears that is not so any longer lol) that I liked AND that wasn't CRAZY expensive.  I loved ones with fringe and pom pom detail but they were 75.00 - 125.00.  No thank you.  The other day I was rooting around my craft room and found this big, bunch of vintage fringe I had forgotten I had!

Perfect! I purchased the bed skirt at JCPenney (originally 55.00 but was 40% off).  I had already measured the fringe and knew I had JUST enough to make it around the three sides.  After measuring and trimming the bed skirt, I sewed on the fringe.

It really was an easy project, it just took some time to measure, cut and hem the bed skirt and then sew on the trim.  I think as it 'settles', it should hang nice and neat.  

I've been looking for a 'peach' throw for my 'winter' bed and today while hubby and I were at the mall, we saw this one and he bought it for me! It matches the peach accents in the room perfectly!

With the flannel duvet cover, the throw and dark gray curtains, it's almost ready for colder days.  I'm expecting an area rug I purchased on Rugsusa.com tomorrow and will be posting my review of that soon.

On any given week (depending on how busy I am!) I love to participate in Link Parties.  These gals put a lot of time and effort into hosting these parties so I always want to show my appreciation by directing my readers to these blogs. 

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

13 comments:

  1. Nice custom job! I call them either bedskirts or dust ruffles, depending on whether they are pleated. And all of our beds have them! With a bedskirt, you can use the underneath for valuable storage. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren- you are so talented and clever! Your new bedskirt is awesome - unique and DIY - well done, ma'am!

    Thanks for popping in and saying howdy today.

    Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some fringe! Your "dust ruffle" (there, I said it) looks wonderful with this added extra detail. I love the old bed and the peach and gray go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely this little fringe detail makes your bed set! Just the right thing!
    So glad that you were able to find the throw blanket. It's just wonderful how things pop up when you need them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when they were called dust rustles. Your fringe version looks great! The throw blanket looks very cozy. Bring on the cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my word! This is just beautiful! I LOVE the new look of your room! You did a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still call them dust ruffles, Lauren! Yours turned out beautifully!! I love the peach throw, too. Your room is looking so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out beautiful Lauren! And yes, bed skirts, (dust ruffles) are hard to find now days. I need one for my guest bedroom downstairs. I've been going to make one from a drop cloth, but haven't yet. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jann :) They ARE hard to find unless they are part of a set. And I have to say, this one I bought is SO cheaply made and flimsy (55.00?? Even with my 40% discount it was way to expensive!) I am definitely going to use it as a pattern and make myself a few more with other fabrics, trims, etc. to switch out.

      Delete
  9. We always called them dust ruffles too, I think that sounds much nicer :) Your new trim looks wonderful, and the peach blanket really adds a special touch to your lovely decorated room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always liked how the bed ruffles looked (that's what I call them). You did a great job, Lauren. The peach accents in the room are pretty.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren, the trim works great on the bedskirt! I love trim- always adds a lot of drama!.... Free and decluttering at the same time. WIN WIN. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, Lauren & your new peach throw is the perfect accent! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!