Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Christmas Drawer

After seeing all of the beautiful and creative Christmas decorations from other blogs, I decided that I didn't like or want to use 75% of my old Christmas decorations!  Not being flush with money (like most of us) I quickly realized I was going to have to get creative (a.k.a. copy) some ideas I'd seen and use things I already had around the house.  
This idea came from Ann over at Moonbeams and Fireflies -- I love all of the interesting things she put in her drawers!

For my drawer I added a doily and an old book along with a tiny silver tray I picked up awhile ago at the thrift store.  The tiny tree was a great find this week for 50 cents at the thrift store.  The vintage postcard is just an image I found, printed and glued to a piece of card stock.  I distressed it a bit to make it look like an old postcard.
The "ornaments" and "tree topper" are vintage clip on earrings and pins.
These black and silver enamel earrings belonged to my mom.
I have two of these strange, little kangaroo pins that I got at an antique shop years ago.  I love wearing them but they look cute on the tree don't you think?
My house looks like a bomb went off and I'm hoping that I'll have it decorated at least a few weeks BEFORE Christmas to enjoy.  More "copy cat" blog ideas to come!

24 comments:

  1. Your Christmas drawer is so pretty! It's a lovely idea.

    I can certainly relate to the bomb going off! Just wondering if I will ever be able to clear the debris!

    Thank you for sharing your lovely decorations at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea, the blog world is so full of great inspiration its hard not to be influenced inspired and copy lol. After all it is the sincerest form of flattery right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    I love this idea! Your Christmas drawer is so pretty.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty idea! I love your drawer full of Christmas treasures ~ so creative and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel exactly the same way! I keep getting ideas on blogs that I like better. I found a flour sifter at the thrift store and now I want to put something in it! heehee! I love what you've done and I'll check the link to the blog you mentioned! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful idea. I am loving your Christmas drawer. I will be digging around my house over the weekend to put my Christmas drawer together. Thanks so much for the inspiration and for linking up to our linky party.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's lovely - and I like the idea of using enamel earrings and pins- clever. Perhaps you would like to show it off at my Holiday Decor Contest at http://astuteinfo.blogspot.com/

    Anesa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Christmas drawer is a great idea! Nice job on your drawer!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you have done. I may just have to copy YOUR ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Copying or not, you are so clever!! Using the earrings and distressing! Awesome!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. love the little kangaroos. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower. Would love you to stop by DIY Home Sweet Home

    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday would love you to stop by Monday and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love how you put it together.

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I had to restyle Christmas too, cheaply! It can be done. Great job! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love how your drawer turned out. The use of jewelry as tree ornaments is genius. Filling your drawers, so to speak, is such a simple idea but so rewarding and so much fun to do, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely idea, and your drawer has turned out gorgeous! I too get tired of the same ornaments each year, hence the Jane Austen tree I am working on.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  16. So very pretty! Love the use of vintage jewels on your tree :) laurel

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely!! When my kids fly the nest, I've decided I'm doing an all vintage tree!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday!

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I love how you added a doily and the old book along with your sweet tiny tree to your "drawer" and I've always loved vintage postcards, just darling! Stopping by from Deck The Halls Sunday!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely idea! It looks so beautiful. I might have to try it myself! Thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. You pulled together a great look Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, that is gorgeous... I too will be making a Christmas drawer with bits and bobs around the house... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey ... You're Christmas Drawer is a super idea.... and it's a keeper( ha ha) ... Hugs.. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lauren, love your Christmas drawer....it is so charming!

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!