Monday, January 21, 2013

Embossing On Glass

I've used embossing powder on cards but decided I'd try it on glass.  If you're not familiar with embossing, you are using a special, clear ink (VersaMark) to stamp your imageThen you sprinkle embossing powder on the image and heat using a heat gun which creates a glossy, raised image.
Glass is a bit tricky because it's smooth and slick so here's what I did.
First use something like a this "Embossing Buddy" and shake it onto the glass.  This prevents the embossing powder from sticking where it shouldn't.  You can try a fabric softener sheet for this or talcum powder.

 Choose a simple, bold, clear stamp -- nothing with lots of details as the details will be 'lost' when stamping on glass.  Ink the stamp using a VersaMark pad while the stamp is on an acrylic block.  Then carefully remove the stamp from the block.  Gently lay the stamp on the glass surface and with as little movement as possible, press it onto the glass.

 Sprinkle a generous amount of embossing powder on the area and then shake off.  I use a small makeup brush to dust off any areas where the powder stuck where it shouldn't :)
 So what do you do if you DO make a mistake like this one above?  Simple, take a rag, wipe everything off, then wipe again with rubbing alcohol and stamp it again!

 Be careful with the heat gun -- the glass can get very hot so it's best to lay the bottle on a table and heat the embossing powder.  Give the bottle a few seconds to cool before picking it up.  For these bottles I decided to make six different holiday tags for each bottle.  This way you could fill the bottle with beads, buttons, sand, shells, whatever and change the little tag out for the season.


  The tags were designs I printed out on cardstock and then 'aged' them with various stamps, distressed the edges and attached to card stock.
 The bottles are available in my Etsy Shop along with other vintage bottles I've embossed.
Linking to these parties this week . . .
The DIY Showoff   http://diyshowoff.com/
Marvelous Mondays http://www.jamscorner.com/
From My Front Porch to Yours http://frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.com/
Under the Table and Dreaming http://www.bystephanielynn.com/

 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Love these Lauren. Thanks for the tutorial, this is something I've never tried before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out so beautiful and elegant. I like your idea to hang the tags on them. Maybe I could print out a Valentine and hang it on one of my plain bottles to dress it up! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love blogging, so many creative minds! I love bottles and love having a new way to dress them up!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are as sweet as sweet can be Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried embossing before, but thinking maybe I should. I love the cards, and in an earlier post you have so many examples on how to use them - it inspired me. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know you liked my Valentine Fabric Hoops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute, Lauren. I have embossing on my 'to do' list, just have to figure out what I am going to emboss. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never embossed before! I may have to try it now! Love the cards as well! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea - thanks for sharing it. How do you clean the bottles after embossed? Carefully, I imagine! Enjoyed my visit, by way of Liz's TTT. Thanks! Jenn (Bookmarking this for my hope to do this self).
    PS your bottles are indeed beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to emboss a wine glass the other night and the next day, the embossing just fell off the glass. Do I need to seal it with something?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!