Friday, May 11, 2018

Vintage Doily Banner

If you're like me, you just can't stay away from those boxes and bins of vintage doilies and linens at garage and estate sales.  Here's a fun, simple way to use them up!
For this banner I actually found 6 of these multi-color doilies and two of these medallion doilies but I plan to make more of these using vintage linens and mismatched doilies as well.
I cut these in 'half'. Because they had an uneven amount of 'points', one doily piece is large, the other small which works out great for this project.
The medallion doilies were cut apart creating these smaller pieces.
I have lots of these packages of old quilt binding but you of course could use new binding.  I used single-fold, wide and folded that in half and ironed it to create the 'pocket' for the doilies.
I pinned the doilies inside the binding, tucking all of the little frayed edges inside.
Then I just stitched the binding, catching in the edges.
Since there were so many little 'frayed' edges, I used a small zig-zag stitch as I felt that would catch all of those pieces neatly inside the binding.
 I thought this added a nice, summery look to our bedroom.
I simply tucked the ends behind the sconces and used a decorative tack to center it on the window frame.
So many possibilities with all of the vintage doilies and linens out there!  Also a great way to use linens that may have stains or other damage but still have beautiful embroidery or images on them.  
What creative uses have you found for vintage linens?

18 comments:

  1. You are so gifted!
    Everything is lovely.
    Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect for a summer bedroom. Have a great weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a grand way to preserve and still use old hand-me-down doilies. As I don't have a sewing machine, wonder if there is iron-fused tape I could substitute for the quilt binding? Or maybe I could just weave twine through the doilies. Going to think on this. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie - there is a product called Stitch Witchery :) - it's a fusible tape. You could lay the doilies in the bias tape, top that with the Stitch Witchery and then press, fusing it all together. I would think hot glue or fabric glue will work just fine too.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I just love this idea. I can never throw out a doily! Thanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really pretty. And you just may be inspiring me to dig through a little lace and see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love vintage doilies. Very pretty. Happy Weekend.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how beautiful! I love all the doilies you have, and a wonderful way to display them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Doily!

    What a great way to repurpose these pretty linens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness! This is just beautiful! Another creative wonder from you, sweet friend. Thank you for sharing...I've been trying to get over here for the past two days. You always brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT!!
    Oooh I'm right there with you, the first thing I look for at a garage sale, estate sale, antique shop is Linens! They are my passion. Linens and Crystal...Oooh my!
    What a sweet display in your bedroom.
    I love the way you have decorated with the old does.

    Pretty post~

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a FABULOUS idea - so so awesome! I am pinning because it's so clever.
    Thanks for the wonderful idea, Lauren. And thanks for your visit. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun project! And such a great use for some of the pretty doilies that we all seem to accumulate simply because we can't resist their charm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sweet! I made one a few years ago, but I starched the doilies. I still love it, but it is as stiff as a board. I hang it on my mantle now and then. If I did it again I probably wouldn't starch it. :)
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann - yes, I thought of starching but I like the 'floppy-ness' of them.

      Delete
  14. Now if that's not the prettiest little banner, Lauren!! I love doilies, and always have. There's just something romantic and old fashioned about them. I love the look in your bedroom...so, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this project, Lauren. I am posting a link to it from my blog this Friday, Lord willing. :-)

    I hope you're having a good summer break. Mine has turned out to be somewhate different from what I expected.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!