Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Birds On A Wire String Art

Welcome to the March Pinterest Challenge Blog Hop, hosted by My Pinterventures. The purpose of this Pinterest Challenge is to motivate all the participants of this hop (and you too) to not just pin, but to make it happen! So this month, I chose to create/make Birds on a Wire String Art.


Now it figures that the thing that grabs my attention doesn't have a link to the original source.  It has been reproduced many times by different people but no source for the pattern/idea is ever given!  Here is where I first saw it on Pinterest. Others have recreated it but no where is the source given so if YOU know it, let me know so I can give credit!


I used small 5/8" brads, a small hammer (smaller is better -- it's easier to get into the tight spaces) and needle nose pliers. You'll need the pliers often to hold the nails while you hammer (again, tight spaces . . .). You can use any type of string but I like the wide color selection of embroidery floss so that's what I used.  


I started by printing the picture out in black and white.  I took an old piece of fence board and white washed it first and distressed a little.  Laying the picture on the board, I pounded in a few random nails to hold it in place.


You do want to try to keep the nails evenly spaced and at the same height.  Once they were all in, I used the pliers to bend or straighten the nails and looked over the top of the board to see if any needed to be pounded in more.


Next you simply tear off the paper pattern and you're left with


your birds, ready to be 'strung'.


There are different 'styles' of string art. Some use very little string so a lot of the background is showing through. I kind of went for 'more' string to give more of a solid look since the background was white and I wanted the birds to show up better.  Simply start at the bottom of each bird by tying the string in a knot, then begin outlining first. 
I would suggest reading the great instructions at The Marathon Mom's Blog.  She shows you how to outline and wrap the string with great pictures and instructions!


It's up to you how many times you want to go over the piece to fill it in.  


Next I added the wire for the birdies to rest on.


I love this quote so decided to add it to this piece.  I simply printed it out on tissue paper and then used watered down Mod Podge to apply it to the board.


Once it was dry, I sanded it to fade/age/distress the lettering.


I love how this looks on my dining room wall!

NOW, let me just say that this is NOT the quick project I THOUGHT it would be.  It's SIMPLE enough, but let me tell you, pounding in all those nails is a bit challenging and winding the string takes some patience because if you're not careful, it will unwind and unwind a lot which can be frustrating.

That being said, I think I will definitely be making more of these haha!  There are lots of sights with free patterns but really, you can take ANYTHING and by simply outlining the shape, create string art.  Just don't plan on doing this while anyone is trying to nap!!

Now let's see what other things Pinterest inspired! Head over and visit the other hosts to see what they crafted, cooked, built, or tried!
Pinterest Challenge Blog Hop
Joanne - Our Unschooling Journey • 
Roseann - This Autoimmune Life • Kelli - The Olympic Nest
• Lynne - My Family Thyme • Beverly - Across the Blvd.
Debra - Shoppe No. 5 • Lauren - Mom Home Guide • Pili - My Sweet Things
Julie - Sum of their StoriesGwen - Geez, Gwen!
 • T'onna - Sew Crafty Crochet • Kenyatta - My Design Rules
Lauren - Mom Home Guide • Deborah - Salvage Sister & Mister
Gail - Purple Hues and Me • Terri - Our Good Life • Lisa - Blogghetti


38 comments:

  1. This is adorable and came out great. I have never tried string art before. The saying is perfect and I'm sure you will enjoy this all spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! I love spring birds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love these little birds. I've been wanting to do a string art for so long. Your's is perfect and colorful. Great tip about printing on tissue paper, I don't have a cutting machine so I need all those little tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very cheerful!!! Love the songs of birds, and you've made them sing with the bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely and fun. And surprising. I am not sure I would have thought of this but it has great charm and is a perfect spring art addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE string art and your birds are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad made a lovely sailboat string art picture back in the 70's, I always thought it was just a beautiful way to make art.
    This bird on a wire version is so pretty, I love the different colours for the different birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so adorable and perfect for spring! My boys and I tried some string art and I agree that it is not a quick, easy project at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your string birds are too cute! I can almost them chirping from here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute & perfect for spring! It's always frustrating to find great pins with no instructions. Now, I can pin these instructions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't done string art in a long, long time! This is so pretty and I'll have to check out those instructions on outlining too! Your birds are so cheerful and colorful! Love this project. You did a wonderful job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet and perfect for Spring. I have been interested in trying one of these too but had never got around to it. That's the best part of this challenge, we are finally getting around to trying these pins. Love your project so much and it has inspired me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about your sign! So cute! I might have to add it to my new living room gallery wall! Thanks for the great idea! Pinnng!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember learning string art in high school which was a very long time ago. LOVE the birds. I can imagine it would take a while to get all the nails into the board. I love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you chose to fill in the birds with lots of string. It really makes them stand out and the added wire perch is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lauren what a beautiful project,you did such a lovely job of it,it looks awesome,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a darling project. That is a lot of hammering but the end results are so worth it...absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is darling! I've wanted to try string art before, now I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How stinkin cute is this!!! I love it..and it does seem time-consuming but the result is amazing! Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  20. So darling. Love the quote. I once had a student who share her string art with the class and since that presentation have been a bit intimidated to try. But this is so darn cute! Tissue paper in the printer...had no idea you could do that! Great post and will be pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adorable project. And perfect for this time of year when the birds are singing in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwwwwwww - this is just so darned cute! I remember doing string art many years ago, but it wasn't half as fun as your project. I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HA HA HA I totally agree with your last comments on string art. Those little nails are a bugger to get straight and in place. Time consuming for sure but I love the finished product so much! Those birds are super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi five, girl!! I shared a string art project, too. I love yours and the fact that you added that quote. Very, very cute. Did you have any trouble getting your nails to stay in the wood? I hammered and hammered but they still came loose. Great project, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your birds on a string project turned out so cute, Lauren! I'm always amazed at your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So impressive! I'm horrible with a hammer - nails always seem to go in crooked!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so adorable. I hadn't ever seen it. I'm so sad I was to slow to make it to your party. I had the perfect project to pin.Thanks for linking up to Keep In Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So cute, Lauren! I love the colors you used! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WELL ... How clever are you !!!!....I love that you don’t let lack of direction stop you ..YEAH... I love it when people just “ TRY” to do things.. and didn’t your birds turn out beautifully... infact ... I can hear them singing...What a clever idea with the Pinterest Challenge. You’ve inspired me to get creating... Thanks for sharing ...Happy Easter !!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh wow! I love this bird art!The colors are great and perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love birds and your string art turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is absolutely charming craft project. A real "sweet tweet". Thank you so very much for linking to the Spring and Easter Joys party. Have a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this! I especially want to try that tissue paper transfer idea. It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Magen :) Sorry - but you are a no-reply blogger so I couldn't find a blog or reply to you :(

      Delete
  34. Thanks for joining our Spring and Easter Joys Link Party last Friday. You will be one of my features tomorrow! Cute project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!