Well I FINALLY finished this coffee table/foot rest and let me tell you, I may have a hard time even USING this because I am so tired of looking at it – well, okay, maybe I WILL use it out of spite for all of the cut fingers, headaches, sleepless nights and the time it cost me to finish this project!! (Here is Part 1 of this project)
The painting was easy – it was the upholstering that drove me to the brink! But I’ll get to that!
When I posted last week about this, I had finished the primer. The next step was two coats of Behr Polished Pearl which I applied with a brush to cover all of the details and the spindles BUT, I would then immediately go over each area with a sponge roller with just a tiny bit of paint on it. This helped remove any brush strokes and gave a nice, smooth look.
After these dried completely I sanded and distressed the bench. This really helped bring out all of the nice details on it.
Using a clean rag, I applied Varathane Pecan Wood Stain working in small sections and then immediately wiping off with another clean cloth which then really high-lighted all of the distressed areas nicely. Finally, I applied one coat of Varathane Polycrylic. And as I said earlier, THAT was the easy part.
Next came upholstering. I knew I wanted this to have a nice, big cushion (unlike the original) but I did not want to pay 16.00 for a piece of foam at the fabric store. So I kept scouring the thrift stores and finally I found a pillow form that was the exact size I needed. It was not a typical form – it was FOAM which meant it was nice and firm and the best part was – it cost me $3.00! At the same thrift store I found a package with these two large pieces of batting for $1.00!
I wrapped the pillow form like a package with the two pieces of batting and stitched it together.
At that same thrift store, they had just gotten a shipment of upholstery fabric remnants and I got this 54” X 2 yard piece for $2.00!! After several different tries at figuring out how to make this look nice, ripping it off and starting over with a different method and laying awake at night trying to figure it out (and I won’t bore you with all of the different things I tried!) I finally figured out that a staple gun was not going to work but extra sharp nails would. I went side to side, corner to corner and then began tacking down all of the edges with the nails.
And just when I thought I was "home free", I had a TERRIBLE time finding roping or decorative braid that matched!! Finally at JoAnn's I found this braid which I had to remove from the twill tape because they didn't have it just as roping.
And here she is, in front of my couch waiting for the coffee tray I still haven't found yet. I like the idea of having something that serves as a foot rest and coffee table.
I do have an idea of what to do with the “twin” now but it sure isn’t going to be like this one . . . stay tuned!