Sunday, July 22, 2018

Vintage Linen Owl


I love vintage linens! Sometimes the prettiest ones have stains that just won't come out.  Here's a great way to still get some life out of them . . . pin cushions.  When I saw this little owl, I fell in love and knew it would be perfect for this fabric I have.  The free pattern can be downloaded HERE.

Using the pattern provided, I cut out the pieces: The quarter circle is the body, the circle is the bottom and the triangle is the belly.  I used vintage curtain material for the body and this pretty embroidered runner for the belly because it was too stained to use for anything else.


I made sure to center the embroidered flower bouquet so it would be centered on the owl's belly.


You need to cut a circle of cardboard and a circle of fabric (the fabric circle is cut 1/2" larger).  With needle and thread, just gather and pull then stitch it so it stays gathered.


Stitch right sides together, the body and belly section.  (See that I had already stitched it WRONG . . . and had to rip it out and stitch it again!)


This fabric was unraveling a lot so I used a zig zag stitch so it wouldn't unravel.


Here it is turned right side out.


I didn't have any fiberfill so I just used some soft, jersey fabric scraps to stuff it.  Stitch along the bottom end and pull tight to hold in the filling.


Now stitch the fabric covered cardboard disk onto the bottom using a simple slip stitch all the way around.


The original instructions say to stitch the beak down.  I'm lazy.  I used a hot glue gun.


The directions also say to stitch the buttons on for the eyes.  I stitched them with the thread then hot glued them on so they LOOKED like they had been stitched on.


Isn't he so cute??


He makes an adorable pin cushion.  These would be cute for so many things!  Now I know what to do with the linen stash.  There are a lot of free patterns out there for pin cushions including these cute chicks which I think I'll try next!

13 comments:

  1. Oooh how darling!
    What a terrific way to use up your stained linens. Don't you just hate letting those stained our tattered linens go? I know I do. I hand mine down to Stephanie knowing she will put them to good use.

    I trust you are doing well and enjoying your summer days ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! And a great way to use those stained pieces of linens that we all have squirreled away somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just adorable Lauren. Have a great new week.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE this! I have quite a collection too...love vintage linens so much! Thank you for this adorable tutorial! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren...the owl is adorable, and such a clever way to use vintage linens that are too pretty too toss. I would love to make one of these. Thank you for sharing the free pattern with us. I hope you're having a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my word! This is just plain adorable!!! SO creative! I love breathing new life into an old thing. :) You are SO good at that, my friend. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO ADORABLE!!! I have lots of vintage fabric laying around but I gave up sewing on the machine a long time ago. This little guy might just nudge me to get it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute! I appreciate your glue gun hack. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really is an adorable idea! Love the vintage linens you have used for it. I'd have hot glued it together to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cute as all get out, Lauren! I love it. And you did wonderful work. The colors are great too. How fun to upcycle this way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cute, Lauren. I've always loved owls. You did a nice job on the embroidery. And the buttons for eyes is precious. I love blue in the home. Great job.

    ~Sheri

    ps....I thought you were taking a summer break, but it's nice to see your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is truly adorable. I wish I sewed. I wish I sewed. I wish I sewed. My mom tried to teach me. I was just too impatient.

    Love the way you salvaged those vintage linens and breathed new life into them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your vintage owl! My, what a little cutie. I have wanted to make some of these sweet owls for a couple years now, but haven't gotten around to doing it. I love your use of the vintage linen...so clever :)

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!