Friday, July 26, 2013

Tissue Transfer and God's Faithfulness

 
 I've been experimenting with using tissue to transfer graphics to wood.  Rosemary at Villabarnes has a great tutorial that inspired me to begin working with tissue paper transfers.
I began by applying a paint wash using watered down, flat, gray paint onto some pieces of reclaimed wood I have.  No real recipe here -- just more water than paint so you can still see all of the details of the wood.
I printed out the words on my computer (I had to play around with placement on some of these to work around the holes) to make sure they fit where I wanted them.  The tissue paper is attached to the top of the paper (you can use any piece of paper, I just used the one I'd already printed on) using double stick tape (I have a 1/4" tape, tape gun).  The tissue attached to the paper is run through the printer and then I gently removed the tissue.  The third image shows the tissue with torn edges applied to the wood using the same water/paint solution.  Work gently and then go over it distressing/tearing holes where you want them, etc. and let dry.
Once it dried, I GENTLY rubbed on some stain 'here and there'.  Finally, I applied a matte, clear acrylic spray paint to seal everything.  The paint wash adheres the paper for the most part but it would not stay on forever unless I sealed it. 
 I love to use music lyrics in my work as well as Scripture verses.

This one is for our son and has special meaning.  He has gone through a rough year but has remained faithful to the Lord through it all.  Recently when I visited him, I played this song for him.  It speaks so clearly of how the Lord is with us 'even when the rains fall' and the 'floods are rising'.  Isn't this Bible verse a perfect fit?  The Lord is already changing our son's desert into pools of water -- AMEN!
I had to include this.  My "little boy" made this handprint stone nearly 20 years ago.  How comforting to know that the Lord knew all he would face even when this little hand print was so tiny and has promised never to leave him or forsake him!  Please enjoy this video of the song:










15 comments:

  1. Fabulous, Lauren. Thanks for the shout-out. I knew you'd have fun with the tissue technique. I love your son's faithfulness. Amen, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. I think I may try this with quotes about the ocean. Very nice of you to share the directions so clearly. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love 'I am washed by the water'...what a powerful meaning. You've created art that is beautiful and has special meaning, too! Enjoy your weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work -- Thanks for sharing - would love to do more with scriptures -- It's on my long to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These DIY projects are not just crafty and fun to make, but evoke calmness and serenity upon reading the sentiments! SO easy to personalize for a gift, as you did for your son. No problems with the printer ink smearing when you paint? Thanks for the nudge to read Isaiah- I am always touched by Isaiah 41:10. Thanks, also, for stopping by my blog. I'd love to know if you found any of your banner in the neighborhood trees! haha :)
    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great artwork! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, I'm so going to do this! With that verse, too! This past spring, I saw a birdbath at Walmart with that verse on it but couldn't get it then. Now that I'm working seriously on my yard and using more of a DIY 'junking' theme, I think this will fit better. I'll send you a link when I get the project done!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out wonderful. Great tutorial. thanks for sharing at TTF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this treatment and really appreciate you sharing it. I also really really love your blog title and the scripture behind it Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love your "It is well with my soul!" I really like that song in a couple different versions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did here--thanks for sharing! I just might give this a try! I'm so proud of you and the artist you've become.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!