The other day I went to the store and bought two chandelier-type bulbs to replace two that were burned out on the ceiling fan that hangs over my dining room table. As I removed the globes to replace the bulbs I realized the globes needed a good washing. Well, one thing led to another and I also realized that not only could the fan blades be removed but . . . they had TWO sides (“Duh”, you say). There was the really ugly side with the faux-wicker inset and the plain side – and it was at that moment that my latest project began! Now I hate this light fixture but finances prevent me from replacing it right now so here’s what I did.
After cleaning the blades, I primed them with white spray primer.
Using a sponge roller I rolled on two coats of my favorite Behr Perfect Pearl white paint. I found that by rolling the sides while holding the blades and then laying them on boxes to paint the rest of the surface worked really well.
It was at this point that I decided I would not bother wasting my precious paint on the ugly faux-wicker side (which will be facing the ceiling and not be seen by anyone unless they climb up on a very tall ladder and make a point to look down at the top of my fan blades) and only paint the smooth side which will face down. Of course, if you are one of my local friends or family, now you know and can hold this secret against me if you choose! But remember, I’m broke so blackmail is pointless.
I thought about stenciling a design but opted instead for the cute wood accents that I bought at Hobby Lobby (They came two in a package for $2.00).
Once they dried, I laid them out in different ways until I found the arrangement Iiked. I used a little sponge make up brush to apply Gorilla Glue to the accents and attached them to the blades.
But, once they were on, I realized you really couldn’t see all of the nice detail on the pieces so I decided to sand them a little to add a distressed look and bring out all of the scroll work. Had I thought of this earlier, I would have sanded them BEFORE putting them on the blades because I had to make sure to remove all of the filings using tack cloth. But it worked out okay.
The final step was to spray the entire blade with a coat of clear, mat-finish sealer. We know that ceiling fan blades are not really designed to circulate air but to catch every, single, teeny, tiny, bit of dust and dirt and deposit it on the blades. So I thought this added step would make them a bit easier to dust (you know, when I decide to dust them every other year!).
Now I realized that these ugly, brown, plastic fan pulls HAD to go. I strung small, black beads onto fine, jewelry wire. For the ends, I decided to use some old skeleton keys that I have so I sprayed them with the same flat, black primer I used on the medallion accents. I gave them a final coat of clear, mat acrylic to keep them from chipping and attached them onto the fan cords. Much better I think!
"70's" Ceiling Fan: BEFORE
"70's" Ceiling Fan: AFTER (Except I hadn't put on the new pulls here!)
NOW I feel I can live with this light fixture for another year or more!