Saturday, January 4, 2020

Valentine Tree DIY Ornaments



Christmas decorations have come down so for me, that means the Valentine decorations must go up.  Everything looks too bare and sad once Christmas is over so I begin decorating right away for Valentine's Day.  The first thing I'm sharing with you is my little kitchen tree.  This was in my kitchen for Christmas so I just left the red bead garland on and made some Valentine decorations.


I simply printed out tiny images of vintage valentine cards. To give them stability, I attached them to what I had on hand . . . a sheet of cork with peel off adhesive.  You could use more card stock as well and just glue them on.  


I had this cute felt, scalloped ribbon from the Target dollar spot so I attached that to the edges of the little cards.


I am always on the look out for old keys.  This summer I picked up a giant bag of them at an estate sale for just a few dollars.  The heart 'ribbon' was also from Target so I cut the hearts apart and attached them to the keys with string.  The jewels were from an old strand of 'something' that I had in my stash so I wired those to keys.



These ornaments cost me zero since I printed the cards and had everything else on hand.  You could embellish these with anything - it's a great project for using up those 'bits and pieces' of embellishments you have in your stash.

I'm not a big 'after Christmas shopper' but I do tend to pick up extra light sets and anything that is red, white or pink that could be used for Valentine decor.  I'll also grab a few sets of red and blue lights (patriotic decor) and green (St. Patrick's Day) and some other colors to use for Easter.

The cheery reds, whites and pinks help one of our most dreary months here a little bit easier to bear!

More Valentine decor to come . . .

14 comments:

  1. These are just darling. The little ornaments would be adorable for a classroom art project. When I was still working, I had a holiday tree up in my library all year. Wish I'd had these great ideas back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I don't decorate for anything besides Christmas because it's too difficult to store too much extra here. Seeing your little tree reminded me of the one we came across in a local store the other day. I fell in love with it but there's no place to store it so I regretfully walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ornaments are darling! And I love the use of the red at Christmas and how it can carry through to Valentine's Day! It makes such an easy transition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute Lauren. Now that all my Christmas decor is down I am thinking of filling in with some valentines decor. I really hate these next few months. Hope we get more sunshine on these cold days. Happy New Year.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Lauren!

    Your Valentine decor is so cute!

    I took down my Christmas decor yesterday. In January, I display my winter-themed teawares. The hearts will go out in late January!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really cute ornaments. And I'm now inspire to find some vintage valentines I can print out. While I don't have a tree to decorate, I think I can surely think of a few people who'd love to get an old-timey valentine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ❤️ Tree!! Your vintage embellished cards look darling. I remember making those cute vintage valentine people from your directions last year, Lauren. Your tree will add a sparkle to January and February.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your DIY Valentine tree! The little embellished cards are darling! I like using what I have on hand too, it is amazing what we can use, without needing to buy a single thing! Always fun to have something to look forward to through the long month of January, many blessings to you in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the vintage valentine printouts! I don't usually decorate for Valentines, but this reminds me I need to check a few boxes because I think my mother had saved some old valentine cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These decorations are so vintage-y sweet. I love your tree!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, a Valentine tree! Your vintage Valentine's are so cute, Lauren. My sister first introduced me to vintage cards many years ago, and ever since then, I was hooked. The red beads add a splash of color on your tree.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the vintage sweetness of your ornaments.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lauren, I loved the 50's era you mentioned, and I really liked everything you said about it. It was one of my favorite eras as well. Thanks for joining in the fun, and Yes, the clothes they wore were simple and cute, and "home" was a big part of their lives. Love that. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!