Monday, December 10, 2018

Reclaimed Wood Christmas Gifts



I love using reclaimed wood and old fence boards for artwork.  I've used them for lots of projects like these:



I wanted to make small pieces of art to give as gifts this Christmas.  I started with these fence boards that I cut to 5.5" in length.  Using my sander, I smoothed the edges.


While I do like Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for furniture, I prefer Rustoleum's Chalked for other projects.  It's much less expensive and still gives the chalk paint look and effect.  I gave these pieces a watered down wash of the white chalk paint.


I leave a lot of the wood showing to give it a more natural, weathered look.  While this is drying, you can get your quotes, words, etc. ready to apply.


The words are printed on tissue paper (see tutorial link above) and then I tear the edges.  I've changed up my 'mix' from time to time but basically I use a combination of Mod Podge, Gesso and water.  The Gesso is white so it helps the tissue blend in better with the wood BUT, it also means the letters are hidden more as shown above.  


Using a clean piece of towel, immediately blot over the letters to make them stand out again.


Here you see the progression.  After this dries, I use my sander to remove even more of the paint and tissue, blending it so the edges of the tissue 'disappear'.


I like to give a wash of paint to the backs and for these I attached picture hangers.


Each one comes out looking slightly different and unique.  These snippets of Christmas songs make nice, short quotes for these tiny boards.


May you feel that "thrill of hope" as we celebrate the coming of our Savior in coming weeks!

12 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    Bravo pour ces réalisations !
    Je vous souhaite de belles fêtes de fin d'année.

    Gros bisous,

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Lauren. I love the chippy wood look. Your creative heart always amazes me.
    Have a super week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, these are beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial! I hope your Christmas is beyond blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look just great -- and not terribly hard, once you get going. I love how they are all different, yet the same technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! You did a fabulous job on these! Holiday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these! What a great idea. The weathered look with the lettering is perfect. I love that they are phrases from songs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great, Lauren. Now I"m off to listen to "O Holy Night".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, what lovely gifts!!! A handmade gift is a gift of love for sure. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've outdone yourself with these Lauren - not only are they beautiful and use wood that otherwise might be wasted, but your choice of words/quotes is so meaningful for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your reclaimed wood projects are just beautiful ,Lauren. I love seeing how you do them and how pretty the finished work turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, as always, sweet friend. I trust you are enjoying this Christmas season. Thinking of you as you face your first one without your dear Mom. God bless you and hold you close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful ornaments! I'm a fan of reclaimed wood objects. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!