Friday, September 2, 2011

Heart Healthy CAN Be Tasty After All!

 
Having to be on a low fat, low sodium regimen can be tough, especially when you enjoy eating as much as we do!  So many recipes SAY they taste good but we know that isn't always the case!  I tried this cookie recipe last night and oh my goodness . . . are they yummy!  The best recommendation came from my husband when he tasted them, sighed a deep sigh and said, "OH, these taste like normal cookies!"  Success.  
 Fruit and Nut Oatmeal Cookies
Combine: 1 c brown sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce, 1/4 c plus 2 T canola oil, 1 t vanilla and beat well with electric mixer.  Combine 3/4 c whole-wheat flour, 1/2 c all purpose flour, 1 t baking soda, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t salt and add to mixture just until blended.  Stir in 2 c oats, uncooked (if using old fashioned, add 3 more T all purpose flour), 2/3 c dried cranberries (or dried mixed fruits), 1/3 c chopped walnuts.
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased sheets and bake 9-11 min. at 350 degrees. Cool 1 min. on sheet and remove to cool.
-------------------
2 cookies = 110 calories, 4g total fat, 0 sat. fat, 0 trans fat, 5mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 16g carb, 1 g fiber, 8g sugar, 2g protein
Now I hesitate to post this picture but here goes . . .

Yuck you say . . . well just hang on.  I read on a blog (please let me know if it was YOU!) about keeping all of your vegetable scraps in a freezer bag to make your own vegetable stock.  Since even low sodium stock in the store is way more than we can have, this is a great alternative!  Just keep adding any vegetables that may be 'on their way out of freshness' as well as scraps like onion and potato peels, vegetable cores, etc.  When you get a nice big bag full, throw it all in a large stock pot with about 14 c water and simmer for about 10 hours.  I found that the most flavorful additions are lots of tomatoes, onions and carrots so if you don't have a lot of those in your 'bag', throw a few extra in.  I also added some stalks of fresh basil and oregano as well as some pepper.  I did add the half and half salt but not more than a few teaspoons.  Once it was finished and slightly cooled, I put 2 cups each into freezer containers.  
When you're forced to change your lifestyle, it does take more time, thought and preparation but I'm taking it as a challenge . . . I can do this!  Feel free to share any of YOUR low sodium, low fat recipes with me!!



4 comments:

  1. The cookies look amazingly delish and the soup idea is the best one! Definitely add this tip into my kitchen routine! Love -PC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to trying your cookie recipe! Low cal and yummy works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE those cookies! I don't eat any sugar at all so it really is a challenge! But I had oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries on top! YUMMY! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!