Saturday, January 19, 2019

Valentine Tree and Vintage-Style Chenille Ornaments

 

With a new puppy, I opted for a small tree for Christmas this year.  When it came time to put up my Valentine decorations, I thought it was the perfect size for a Valentine Tree.


I already had white lights on it so I added some red netting around the base and a wood plaque for a topper.


I've been looking at these vintage-style chenille ornaments on Pinterest and found this simple tutorial for how to make them at Vintageimagecraft.  They're so simple to make and a lot of fun to 'dress'.


I found some images of vintage postcards, printed them and then then just cut off the heads (ouch!).


The Dollar Spot at Target had lots of little Valentine embellishments like these rhinestone heart stickers.


You can make animals too!  I'm planning to make lots of little ducks and chicks like this for Easter.


Several of the dresses were made using tulle.  I just cut a piece about 15" long and folded in half lengthwise (so the hem is the folded edge).  Using a needle and thread I gathered the 'neckline', wrapped around the doll and secured with hot glue.


You can use doilies, pieces of doilies and other fabric as well. This little gal is holding a rhinestone heart from my broken jewelry stash.


Stick on rhinestones made this little pup's dress sparkle!


I had a lot of pieces of vintage, glass prisms so I wired them together and hung them on the tree as well.


I also added vintage earrings and pins for ornaments as well as some red hearts that I got at Hobby Lobby.


My whole house is decorated inside and out for Valentine's Day.  It's quite cheery, especially as I sit here watching massive amounts of snow fall and blow outside my windows.  I'll be sharing more of my ideas and decorations soon!

Keep warm everyone!!

19 comments:

  1. Hmmm- these give a whole new meaning to the term 'Off With Their Heads'....lol. They're adorable and so retro (if that's even a term they use any more).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chenille ornaments are really sweet!

    We have lots of snow predicted for here in New Hampshire also. It's supposed to start tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute for words....I've never had a Valentines Tree but I think I just might this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea!! I'm thinking that this would be a fun project for me and Cissy. I just need to find the vintage heads, and some chenille. I already have a lot of trims and tulle. Thank you, Lauren! Your tree looks super cute!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question...Do you find the chenille at JoAnn's or Michael's? I guess pipe cleaners might work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Valentine tree is adorable! I have a few miniature trees, but never thought to keep them up for other holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!
    Such a beautiful little tree and those ornaments are daring!
    One year I left our "lodge pole" tree up for months,it suits our country home ♡ and I decorated it for each Holiday,Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and then Easter. While it was fun for awhile I knew it had worn out its welcome.

    Beautiful post ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally adorable! Thank you for stopping by.... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I just love sweet things like your ornaments. I have some of those vintage images somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your Valentine's Tree!!I keep Trees up in the house year round and decorate them for every Holiday and season. I will be posting mine soon...I LOVE the sweet ornaments that you made! So incredibly cute!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Love these chenille figures. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute. I have a wee valentine tree but yours has such wonderful ornaments! Makes me smile big!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just never cease to amaze me with your original, beautiful ideas! This is just so adorable and heart-warming to look at. It makes your home look so homey. I haven't ever made a Valentine's tree, but I think it is a "lovely" idea. LOL! Sending love and hugs your way today, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lauren these are so sweet and very cute. I love that you kept up your tree to make a valentine tree. Lets you have the pretty tree lights on for awhile longer too.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and to leave such a sweet comment!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Valentine's Day tree is darling! And oh, what cute little ornaments. You are so clever and creative, my friend.

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These little chenille ornaments are just TOO CUTE... I’ve always been fond of them, since childhood and even saved a few that I hang on my Christmas tree.. but what a super idea to make Valentines day ornaments...Love It ...Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, a Valentine's Tree, how cute. The vintage ornaments are creative. I especially like the Pink one, and that last blue one is so pretty. It looks like you're in the spirit of Valentine's Day, Lauren. Me too!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!