Sunday, August 20, 2017

Cabinet Make Over with SPRAY Chalk Paint


I'm nearly finished with the bedroom makeover so now I can start posting projects! This little side table was a steal at a local thrift store for 20.00.  Now I LOVE Annie Sloan chalk paint but I have to say, painting the INSIDE of cabinets like this is a real pain (figuratively AND literally).  I had planned to just use regular spray paint on the inside but when I was at the hardware store I saw this . . .
 Chalk paint . . . in a can.  Maybe not new to some but it was to me so I thought I'd try it.  Black and green have been around for a long time but I'd not seen other colors. I think this was a cabinet to hold records because of the slots inside -- very cool!  Two light coats and the inside was finished. (The 'shadows' are just that -- shadows.  The inside was totally covered in a clean finish with just two coats)
 But once I saw how great this looked . . . I decided to use it on the entire piece!  Here's what I loved about it:  
It was quick and easy to apply
It dried super fast between coats
It gave a nice, smooth finish
It was easy to distress and easy to wax
The only 'negative' I could see was the paint smell but that was not enough to deter me from using it.
 Like regular chalk paint, I did no prep work or sanding at all and the paint adhered perfectly.  I did remove all of the hardware first since it was in such great shape and I wanted to keep it as is.
 I used Annie Sloan clear wax and followed up with touches of dark wax, then buffed it for a nice finish.
I will definitely be using the spray chalk paint again.  Right now it comes in about 6 different colors.  It's definitely a smoother, neater finish than the regular chalk paint but I liked that on this piece.  I have other pieces in the room where I used the AS Chalk Paint so there are a variety of 'finishes' in the room.
 I think the spray chalk paint is a GREAT option, especially for the insides of cabinets or pieces with hard-to-reach spots!  Have you ever used spray chalk paint? Did you like it?

Here in Chicago it looked like we would not be able to view the solar eclipse because it had been raining and was so cloudy.  I was pretty disappointed.  BUT, just a half hour before the eclipse would reach it's peak of 80% for us, the clouds opened. . . EXACTLY where the sun was!  Hubby has the week off so we were able to enjoy this magnificent event together.  I'll tell you -- it was like God just parted those clouds so we could witness the magnificence of His creation!
AND, because it was cloudy, I was able to capture it because otherwise, it would have been too bright for the lens to pick up the crescent!  So with our ISO approved glasses, we ooooohhh-d and aaaaahhhh-d and felt so blessed to have been a witness to this event!  Did you have a chance to see it where you live?

 

On any given week (depending on how busy I am!) I love to participate in Link Parties.  These gals put a lot of time and effort into hosting these parties so I always want to show my appreciation by directing my readers to these blogs. 


Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday
 

22 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, did not know there was a spray chalk paint. Bet that will over take the paint on type soon! What a transformation on your $20 table, lovely! Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be buying a can soon of the chalk spray paint. I have a little cubbie box that needs some color. I have a coupon at a local hardware store and will give it a try. Your side table looks great.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPRAY CHALK PAINT? FABULOUS! The cabinet looks great, good job! I will be checking out the spray paint, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cabinet looks nice. You did a great job, Lauren. wow, I can't believe this was only $20, what a great price. I love little side dressers like these. So many things we can use them for. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize that chalk paint came in different colours. Cool! Your project turned out great. I didn't have the proper viewing glasses so I kept my eyes firmly on the ground when the eclipse happened here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know I have been curious about the chalk paint in a can... and I think that is something I will try now! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, you are so sweet. The cabinet looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your cabinet makeover, Lauren. It certainly turned out so pretty, and using the spray chalk paint made it so easy. I would love to try it, and can think of several pieces where I could use it.
    I was in Ohio and shared the eclipse with my mom, sister, a niece, and my son, Mike. We even ate Moon Pies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, your table is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE it! You did an amazing job! And, the picture of you and your husband is just priceless! That was so like our Lord to stop the rain and make this moment so memorable for the two of you. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. I have an old TV cabinet I want to redo but I actually have no room for it anymore....but for fun I want to w?ork on it! Silly huh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply amazing!We cannot see the eclipse here in Italy!
    You've done such a great work making over this cabinet!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren, I wanted to answer your question.....the blue daisies were inside my church, and they looked so stunning cause I've never seen them in blue, just white. There were also some yellow daisies along with them. I think they were just from the florist and they may have been colored that way, but not sure. Thanks for asking. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the new look of your old cabinet! I have bought spray chalk paint, but haven't used it yet. I need to try it soon.

    You did a beautiful job on the cabinet, it looks lovely!
    gail

    ps pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - I LOVE it and plan on using it on more projects soon!

      Delete
    2. I have used this and still have another project in mind. It can make our life so much easier. The cabinet looks terrific.

      Delete
  13. I've got to try get some of that chalk spray paint. It would make life so much easier, especially when you try to get into all those nooks and crannies.Your cabinet looks lovely and I'm so glad the clouds parted just at the right time for you and your hubby Lauren. That must have been truly special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute, Lauren! I have spray painted furniture before but I haven't tried the spray chalk paint yet. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. Love your makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need some of that paint. I didn't know they made it in a spray can! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried chalk paint in a spray can, only the standard variety in a can but your cabinet turned out great. Love all the little distressed details.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you've made over this cabinet! It has such charm and thanks for the tip on the spray paint.
    How wonderful that you were able to enjoy the eclipse...a definite wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great makeover! Wow...spray chalk paint works great! Love it! Another paint I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cabinet is beautiful & I agree, spray paint makes things soo much easier in those hard-to-reach spots. I wonder if that's available around here. I'll have to look for it. Love the muted green you used too. So glad you got to see the eclipse! Wonderful that God opened the heavens for you at just the right moment! I enjoyed the look on your faces too. We didn't get to see it. So bummed. Thanks for sharing at Sweet Inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's available at MOST hardware stores now. I'm going to be having a give away soon so stop back or sign up for email updates and you'll know when it starts. Yes - it was quite a sight -- I'm sorry you didn't get to see it but thankfully with modern technology we could 'see' it online!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!