Sunday, August 16, 2015

"Where Is the Ham?"

“Jehovah-Jireh” is one of the many different names of God that we see in the Old Testament. It literally means "The LORD will provide".   We see that this is the name Abraham used when God had called him to go up to Mt. Moriah and there, sacrifice his only son, Isaac as an offering to the Lord.
As they near the site, Isaac asks his father about the offering or sacrifice.  They have everything BUT the needed sacrifice so Isaac asks “Where is the lamb?” What is Abraham's response to his son's question?  “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son”. (Genesis 22:1-8)
So here's MY take on this . . . "Where is the ham?"
 In recent weeks, (as in many times during our married life) we found ourselves with way more "month at the end of the paycheck".  I'm a pretty frugal shopper to begin with but these past few weeks really presented some challenges.  Yesterday morning, as I was doing my grocery list and menu for the week (and looking for the cheapest meals I could come up with), my husband returned home from the men's breakfast at our church . . . carrying a 9X13 size pan full of . . . ham.  He said there was a lot left over and they insisted he take the bulk of it.  He almost refused it, but then took it.   THAT I said will be our meals for the week!!
I know that He provides . . . I just have to be reminded sometimes.  
 
So we didn't find our meals on a mountain, but God provided them to us in a different way.

Today . . . a ham and cheese quiche, tomorrow . . . Ham and white beans . . . then Ham and potatoes . . . 
Here are some of the great recipes I found in case YOU have an abundance of ham to use up!


Impossibly Easy Ham and Swiss Pie
(I used ham, broccoli and cheddar)

(My beans are canned so I'll just bake this in the oven)



Leftover Ham -n- Potato Casserole

How has God provided for you recently?  I'd love to hear your story!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Lauren, I just love this particular name of God! It's so precious, and what a wonderful way of God's provision for you with the ham! How great and gracious He is! I think today God provided encouragement from you, sweet sister in Christ, just by your leaving a comment on my blog today. Been going through some health issues, and your post is such a wonderful reminder that God will provide a way...and it may not be the way I want to hope for. But He is always with us...through it all. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! what a wonderful post about our dear Lord and how He does provide! Isn't that amazing how He knows just what we need!! I know He has provided for us or we wouldn't be living in upstate New York right now by our little grandchildren! I have seen His hand move in our lives so much in this past year. Thank you for the reminder not to take anything for granted! Our God is faithful! Thank you so much for popping in to see me and glad you were safe in the midst of the storm! Hey! That's a song! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord does indeed provide. Things are not perfect by any means over here. We've been through many trials. I could write a book. Things may not always happen the way you want them to, but, God answers prayers. Ham and cheese quiche sounds yummy, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God works in wonderful ways! What a blessing and encouragement when He meets our needs through others!
    Thanks Lauren, for your kind comments when you visited my blog yesterday.
    Have a blessed week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, I love testimonies like this! Isn't God so good!! I do have a story to share. I'll be sharing it on my blog eventually, but basically, I have been on the look out for a terrarium for awhile. (The box kind with the pointed top) I was at the thrift shop and saw one. It was heavy and I didn't have a cart. I went to get one and in that time a group of ladies came in the store and went straight to that aisle. I didn't want to be rude and push them aside to I went to the next aisle to wait. They came around the corner and guess what was in their cart!! I was so disappointed. I truly had to give it to God. Anyways, I went to a few other stores (not to look for a terrarium) and at the clearance section at Marshall's I bent down to look at an item at the back and wasn't there a larger terrarium on clearance. I couldn't believe it. God cares about all those details in our lives. It made my heart happy, but especially because He cares! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Have a wonderful weekend! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, blessings to you with your new class! The history of "Jesus Loves Me" was very interesting. Anna's sister Susan was writing a book and in the story there was a sickly young boy. Susan asked her sister Anna to write a poem for this character. Now, when I sing the words I understand why they were written. I have a tab on my blog called "Talk on Tuesday" where you may find some other ideas. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!