Saturday, August 16, 2014

Ugly Bi-Fold Door Fix

Unfortunately every bedroom in our house has these cheap, hollow-core, bi-fold doors.  While continuing the process of making over my girls' bedroom into a "Beachy" guest room, I had totally ignored these doors.  Then my husband said to me, "Hey, you should do that 'painty, sanding thing' on them and make them look old."  I think he knows my style now!  Here's what they looked like before:
 I didn't even bother to remove the hinges.  I just sprayed them first with a flat, white primer and then painted everything with Pure White Chalk Paint.
 Normally I do two coats but for these, I wanted a particularly weathered, worn look so I just did one coat and I even thinned the paint to make it even lighter.  With 120 grit sandpaper, I distressed them and then sanded everything down with 600 grit paper (a MUST when using Chalk Paint as the finish is like glass!) This was a tip from my wonderful Chalk Paint distributer.
 I purchased some simple door knob plates to cover the holes in the doors and got a few silver knobs at the local ReStore and painted it all with a flat, white.
 I chose not to wax these.  With the 600 grit sandpaper, the finish is smooth and any other sealing was unnecessary.
 A simple, cheap fix for an ugly problem.  I plan on doing this in each of the other bedrooms as well.
More to come on my "Beachy Guest Room"!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Lauren what a great transformation of these doors. They look awesome.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD GRAVY sister ..that is awesome. I love your blog and all your crafty(NESS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having those door knob plates cover the wholes of the door. Your design is simple, but elegant. It's really amazing how you are now the carpenter and designer of your own house. Hahaha! You did such an amazing job. Now, you needn't buy a new door because of that awesome DIY Feat. Thanks for sharing that, Lauren! All the best to you!

    Helene Raymond @ Trade Squad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!