Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Cloche & Make Your Own Nest

This cloche is part of my thrift store haul and cost me less than $1.00 to make.  The base of the cloche is just the clear, glass plate I got for 25 cents and the cloche itself was 75 cents.  I had everything else so you can see this was a CHEAP project!  I knew I wanted a little nest inside so I figured out a way to make one and while it was simple, it gives me a new appreciation for the way God has gifted birds in creating these marvels!
  After gathering small branches from the bushes, I put them in a piece of styrofoam and sprayed them Heirloom White.
 The base was just covered with sheet moss.  I cut up some sheet music and ran the strips through my crimper and then curled them around a large pencil.  Now for the little nest.  
I took a hunk of Spanish moss and wet it slightly.  I began forming it into a disk and then began adding watered down Elmer's glue as I worked and worked it into a bowl shape.  Once I did that, I pressed it down over this small jar and put a rubber band around it to hold it in it's shape.  After about an hour, I removed it from the jar and voila . . .
 A tiny nest.  I used hot glue to put some pearls in for the "eggs" and wedged the nest into the branches.
 After carefully fitting it all into the cloche, I set the cloche on the plate and added the music shreds.  Nothing is "permanent" in here because I may decide to keep it out year-round and change it up for different seasons.  I'll have more makeovers from my thrift hunt coming soon.




Linking to these parties this week . . .
The DIY Showoff   http://diyshowoff.com/
Marvelous Mondays http://www.jamscorner.com/
From My Front Porch to Yours http://frommyfrontporchtoyours.blogspot.com/
Under the Table and Dreaming http://www.bystephanielynn.com/





7 comments:

  1. The pearls sure make pretty eggs. I love this and it's nice because you can take it apart at any time. I've been hesitating bringing out the boxes of Spring decor. I think I'm getting lazy! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cloche was a great bargain, you made it look gorgeous. Love the nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci de nous dévoiler vos petits secrets... Un très joli résultat.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that nest idea. We have moss all over the place. I'm going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so sweet! Very creative! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, this is one awesome DIY nest idea...LOVE IT!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this and the pearls are just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and leave your comment!