Monday, March 14, 2011

Thrift Store Table Turned TV Stand




I found this table at a local thrift store on 50% off day so it cost me $10.00.  It had lots of 'dings' and scratches and the legs were assembled incorrectly (thus the "as is" sticker on the top??).  Although the top was clearly laminate, it was solid and I liked the lines.  I could immediately picture it as our new TV stand.  We have a very small living room and are not big TV watchers so all we have is a sleek, flat panel screen for our TV which was going to fit perfectly on this table.


After spending at least an hour unscrewing the four legs (which were each in 3 pieces), re-assembling them, re-drilling a few holes and moving some screws, I was able to assemble them correctly.


Then I roughed up the surfaces, primed and painted it.  I then distressed it a bit and sealed it with a few coats of acrylic sealer.  Oh, there were six holes in the top (not sure what they were originally intended to be for) so I took some upholstery tacks I had, sanded, primed and painted them to match and then placed them on top using Gorilla Glue.


I don't like to see "wires" -- they're like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!  So I took some fabric I had and created a gathered cover for the back which I stapled on.  I used some extra fabric to make a few cord covers and am now enjoying my new TV Stand!

4 comments:

  1. Love the white! You would have never guessed those legs were such a pain to deal with! Grat job Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! Love it!
    xo
    Robin
    All Things Heart and Home

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

I'VE BEEN FEATURED!