Saturday, November 11, 2017

Winter Cocoa Bar

There are not too many things I like about winter but I CAN say I enjoy hot chocolate and soups.  The rest, well, let's not go there.  I don't have a lot of space to set up a designated hot chocolate bar so creating a small, 'mobile' one was a good solution.
A wooden cigar box, one of many scored for 25 cents each at a yard sale makes a great container.  The metal tins were left 'as is' but dressed up a little with some yellow pom poms. A few coats of glossy yellow spray paint and it was ready to go. Since this will mainly be in the kitchen I used my colors of yellow, red, teal, white and black.
The diamond pattern paper mimics my floor so that was perfect to line the lid of the box.
I purchased the hot cocoa, tiny spoons, cups and little milk bottles all at the dollar store.  The bottles didn't have lids so I decided to make some.
These work really well to protect my 'toppings' of chocolate chips, marshmallows, peppermint sticks and peppermint bark.
The labels for the bottles are Formica sample chips, painted black. Using a chalk paint pen I added the words. You could also just use chalk so you can change up the labels.  
I thought it would be fun to add a little sign.  I like little signs. And fun quotes. 
A nice, hot cup of 'dressed up' cocoa can certainly go a long way toward making me feel a little better about winter!

Did you know you can freeze whipped cream and then use cookie cutters to make fun shapes?
Simply spread your whipped cream on a non-stick silicone sheet and freeze.  Thaw slightly and then cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.  You can store these back in the freezer until you're ready to serve them!  I made up a bunch and have them in zip lock bags in the freezer, ready to pull out when I want them.
While I'm STILL not happy that we had our first snow flurries yesterday and the temps are well below normal for this time of year, chocolate really CAN make me feel a little better!


On any given week (depending on how busy I am!) I love to participate in Link Parties.  These gals put a lot of time and effort into hosting these parties so I always want to show my appreciation by directing my readers to these blogs. 

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday


15 comments:

  1. I love it, Lauren, right down to the caps for the containers. What a SWEET setup--literally! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, you have me wanting hot chocolate now!
    Love your bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Cocoa Bar is just darling, Lauren!! I never thought to freeze whipped cream, but thanks to you, I sure will now!!! That is a perfect treat to pull out for my grands. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, once again, your creative juices have been flowing. How neat is this! I'm not big into hot chocolate but my Hubby is. He generally just uses the pod, drops a few marshmellows in and calls it "good." Happy rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Lauren! You are one of the most creative people I know! I can't believe how utterly adorable this cocoa station is! So much detail and thought, and that frozen whipped cream idea is just amazing. I LOVE those little milk bottles and the way you made those neat, little lids!!! I have a neat, primitive wooden box that would make a darling place to create something like this...you always give me so much inspiration! I am so thankful for you and your blog. No matter what I am going through, I always leave a visit with you feeling refreshed in spirit and happy. God bless you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did someone mention hot chocolate?? What a perfect idea! And oh my, I just LOVE that darling vintage dinette set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative, Lauren. Is that your kitchen? I didn't know you had the black and white checkered flooring. I've always liked that. What a nice cocoa bar with lots of goodies. The red snowflake cups are cute. I had my first hot chocolate a few days ago. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very great your hot chocolate bar is! I love the little details you added to dress it up. Very cool idea for the lids! I just might have to do your whipping cream idea....but with perhaps snowflakes. (found a small snowflake cutter the other day).
    Stay warm and sip cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just about to make myself a cup of tea, but your post persuaded me to make hot chocolate instead. HA! I love everything about your winter cocoa bar. Before I became a tea drinker, hot chocolate my hot beverage of choice. The frozen whipped cream shapes is a deliciously fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow - I'm SO happy to meet a kindred soul! I hate winter (rather passionately actually) and love chocolate. Oh....and soup too. I would love a chocolate bar like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I sure do love what you have done to make your little coffee bar so attractive and fun! I love redoing old cigar boxes (we did it a lot when the kids were younger for their special treasures). I do think fun projects like this help keep the winter blahs away :) And I LOVE your whipping cream trick! That just looks so fun, I must give that a try! Always enjoy a visit with you dear friend, a blessing you are to blogland :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fun idea and really looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving your kitchen. Great coffee bar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, is this isn't just the sweetest {no pun intended} thing ever! Can I come over for a cup of hot cocoa?

    Happy hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lauren, this is a fun little station. Love the paper lids that you made! And the whip cream stars are a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!